Sunday, June 16, 2013

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify



This was the kind of perfect Maine day that I dream about in the winter.  So after a lobster roll at my favorite dockside restaurant, I headed to one of my favorite painting locations:  Grimes Cove on Ocean Point. 

Plein air painting can overwhelm you with the sheer amount of details and textures, so it demands that you simplify shapes and limit textures.  Painting every leaf and limb in the trees serves no purpose other than accurate reporting, which has little to do with creating a work of art.  Likewise, painting every rock on the stone littered beach accomplishes little.  Better to choose one or two boulders to come in aid of the composition, and suggest the textures.  Omitting the rocks on the beach also keeps the spotlight on the cliff face.

Simplifying shapes and textures allows me time to think about more important things, like color intensity and values.

No comments:

Post a Comment