Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Blue on Blue



Sitting here in the early morning, looking over the paintings I've done this summer, I've been trying to put my finger on a subtle change in this year's work.  I think I've finally nailed it. 

I've swapped out my old workhorse blue--ultramarine--for cobalt blue.  Making that one color change has altered the look of my paintings.  Cobalt is a purer blue.  It is harder to mix with certain other colors, so I've had to resist the temptation to combine it with other opaque yellow paints.  The result is a shift to the cooler side of the palette. 

I also just ordered some quinacridone gold, a color that keeps getting mentioned in articles, videos and discussions with my watercolor friends. 

Switching up your palette will shake up your work even if your style remains the same. Try not to add too many new colors at once or you may get confused in your enthusiasm. Experiment with new colors to keep your work fresh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment