Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Simplifying Architectural Details



I've painted this iconic church in Boothbay Harbor for 37 years.  Each year I've struggled to portray the lovely details of its exterior.  The windows especially are charming.

But this year, I decided to simplify the depiction of those details.  I concentrated on the silhouette of the church and chose to emphasize the figures coming out of the church after Sunday morning mass.

Most of the "action" centers around the doorway and the statue of Mary on the lawn.  I decided to make that area the staccato textural interest of the scene, and hence, the biggest area of contrast in values.

Backlighting is a great tool for including figures. 

A note about painting plein air:  I painted with the Plein Air Painters of Maine today, as I do most Wednesdays in summertime.  However, this morning, I broke two of my cardinal rules.  Wear a hat, and bring something cool to drink.   I got severely overheated by the time I was finishing this painting.  Heat stroke is not something you want to fool around with.  I immediately went home and got into a cold shower! 

No comments:

Post a Comment