Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Exercise In Gradation


After yesterday's entry on gradation, I felt compelled to go to the studio. The result was "Snow Cone Stand at Fell's Point", a scene I first painted while visiting my good friend and accomplished watercolorist Lois Wolford. I assigned myself the task of using gradation of color and value to simplify every shape that was not the focal point. Look for the gradation of both color and value in the sky, the buildings and the street. The "action" in the painting is concentrated around the snow cone stand and the figures on the street. The shapes get smaller, warmer, and more textured around the stand. Gradation is the element that leads the eye to that area.
As I said before, gradation is subtle, but not monotonous. A shape that is pure in color and of one value is less interesting than one that has gradation in it.

Having a specific word or two in mind as you begin to paint makes the process of applying paint more satisfying. The results are likely to be more interesting as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment